Blogging about things I follow closely, like health and fitness issues.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Not Ready to work at it

I'm not ready to work on an essay and publish it as a blog post. Too much for the five pound bag. However, I've been thinking about a passage from C.S. Lewis' Screwtape Letters and the soul who spent his life doing neither what he ought nor what he liked and found himself at the gates of Hell with no real enjoyment in this life and none in the hereafter.

How often does that happen to me? There are things I really like to do that I don't do because I "don't have time". But when I'm neglecting things I ought to do, I don't choose the things I like. There's no virtue in cutting school to go fishing, but you can miss school if you're sick. Wasting time on the unimportant to avoid the unpleasant important creates a double Hell. Hell here. Hell there.

No comments: